Your Beta Reader is an important part of the book team.
A Beta Reader is a person who reads your manuscript prior to you pressing that publish button. This person will read your manuscript and provide feedback/suggestions to help bring greater clarity to your manuscript.
I suggest having at least 3 Beta Readers (your Beta Team); any more will prolong the publishing process.
- Before completing your manuscript contact at least 3 people who will agree to read and provide honest feedback for your manuscript.
- After you’ve completed your final draft (as you know it), provide the Beta Team with a Word Document of your manuscript.
- Let the Beta Team know exactly when you need the manuscript back.
- After receiving back the manuscript with the Beta Team’s feedback, you decide to accept or reject their feedback. Remember, you’re the final approver for your manuscript.
- If you decide to accept their feedback you can either implement the suggestions then send it back to the Beta Team; or send it to your editor.
- If you reject the Beta Team’s feedback just send the manuscript to your editor.
This is the process you should follow if you include a Beta Team in your writing process.
Focus on the Outcome!